Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Weekend with the grandparents and a marathon!

This past weekend the in-laws came to town to hang out with the kids and to tag along to my first, and possibly only, marathon in Colorado Springs. We took them to Estes Park and RMNP on Saturday to do a little hike. We started toward Cub Lake, but didn't make since we started in the afternoon. In any case, we all had a great time. It will definitely be one to go back to...great hike for little kids!

Starting our hike to Cub Lake.
Brennan is blazing the trail.
The family.
Kami and Grandma spotted this lone elk looking for it's herd.
Kami saw this cute little chipmunk waiting for a handout.
Family photo.
On Sunday afternoon, we headed to Colorado Springs for the marathon on Labor Day. My friend Michelle and I have been training for the past 18 weeks for the ADT Marathon. The description stated the course was on a slight downhill with about a 1200 foot elevation loss with some rolling hills once you get into the Air Force Academy. Rolling hill, my hiney! They were not so rolling and some of them were pretty steep. Speaking for myself, I felt pretty good and was on track for a 4 1/2 hour finish time until about mile 20. Then the hills caught up with me and I had absolutely nothing left for the last 2 miles or so but shear will power (and even that was running low). Both Michelle and I still finished in 4 hours and 50 minutes...which I'm really proud of. I have to say, had Michelle not been there with me for the last few miles, I might have walked the rest of it and had a much worse time. All in all, it was a great experience...but one that I do NOT wish to repeat any time soon, if any time at all:)
Between mile 6 and 7. We are the two in the middle wearing the blue and green.
Wahoo! I'm telling Pat that I am keeping my jacket to use as a sweat wiper.
See you at mile 20!
Between mile 20 and 21...getting tired.
We are the two at the base of the circle in the middle...heading toward the finish line.
Almost there!
Finally done!

No comments: