Friday, February 6, 2009
Teething and nursing...a foreign land!
I have come to a place I am not familiar with...teething and nursing. For a week or so, Brennan has been drooling and attempting to gnaw his hand off so I assumed he was starting to teeth. Then he started not nursing very much during the day. He'd be on for a few minutes then pull off and scream. I thought maybe he was going on strike (which I have read some babies will do). I wasn't sure what to do. Poor guy was hungry, so I wasn't sure if I needed to start supplementing with formula. He's growing so fast, I thought maybe my supply couldn't keep up (he weighs 15 lbs now and is almost 26 inches long). It wasn't until talking to a couple of friends last night that helped me realize nursing hurts your child when teething. Kami was never a fussy teether...one day you'd notice a tooth and that was the only indication. The other thing that didn't occur to me until later was Kami didn't get her first tooth until almost 8 months, and she was done nursing by then and eating lots of solid food. Let me tell you what a relief it is to know what the problem is...now I can fix it. I gave Brennan some Tylenol and he was able to nurse for much longer. Now I need to work on getting my supply back up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment